Thursday 20 June 2013

Here goes...

First of all, I'm so happy that Blogger has Georgia font.  I'm a huge fan of the Georgia font, so I can already tell that this blog may just work out.

For the last two weeks, this blog has been waking me up at night.  Literally.  I wake up and my brain says to me, "For the Girls...for the girls..."  So, this morning, I decided to post For the Girls and get this show started so I can finally get some sleep.

Why For the Girls?  I have two young girls.  6 weeks and 3 years.  I've decided, or really, I knew all along, that my most important job is to be a positive role model and show them how to live their best, healthiest and happiest life.  So, that puts a lot of pressure on me, but I'm all for it.  



When you set a goal, or make a plan, all of the self help books and advice givers tell you, "Do it for you."  Well, I've tried to eat healthy, be active, and make the right decisions for years on my own, and I've only been moderately successful.  So I'm going to start making decisions based on what choices would be best as a role model for my girls.  Now, I'm not going to become this crazy person who centers all of their decisions around their children and completely loses herself in the process.  No, no, that's not going to happen.  But when I'm humming and ha'ing about whether or not to put the girls in the stroller and go for a run, I will pick run, because the girls will get fresh air and I will show them active living.  Really, it's a no brainer that many people in my life have already figured out, but I'm just coming around now. 

As much as I'm a big fan of the Georgia font, I'm also a huge fan of control.  I'm a control freak.  There, I've admitted it in cyberland.  It's really started to bother me how nuts I am, and how in turn, it makes the people around me a little postal as well.  Many years ago, I banished the word "relax" from my husband's vocabulary because when he would say it, it just made me more bothered.  I would always follow his "relax" with, "I can't relax, so just stop saying that."  Well, dear Jamie,...I'm going to relax.  Or at least begin my relax journey.  I was taking down posters in my classroom on Tuesday, and one said, "You are who you choose to be."  I had a bit of a moment holding that poster in my hand.  It's pretty simple, but so true...you are who you choose to be.  I was choosing to be a neurotic control freak.  I think I'm going to choose to let her go a little bit.  I've decided she's really not all that fun.

The other thing I'm going to choose is healthy living.  I'm so sick of tight pants. Or buying bigger pants because my pants are tight.  I'm so done with that.  I'm not setting a weight loss goal, or starting a calorie counting, food weighing, food journal plan either.  That has always made me a mental patient in the past.  I'm starting this plan:  Get my ass off the couch, go for a run, stop eating treats, and eat fruits, veggies and Canada's Food Guide food.  There.  Easy peasy.  It's going to be hard to stop reaching for that handful of chocolate chips every day, but I figure if I can get it down to two days a week, that will be a victory.

So, here goes.  I'm going to chill out, and be healthy. But, most importantly, I'm going to do it for the girls (and my husband - he doesn't really need a role model because he's quite a good role model all on his own, but I'm sure he'll appreciate a calmer Beth - he's been asking for one for 10 years now.  It's time.)

Peace out hommies,

Beth

 

2 comments:

  1. Beth!!! I love it! I enjoy first and foremost that you started your blog and post with your love of a font!! I also enjoy that you have a blog and you are doing it for the girls!!! I look forward to following and partaking in your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks buddy. I already have a list of future posts all ready to go, so I think this is all going to work out OK. I appreciate the support. You're a great friend.

    ReplyDelete