Saturday 22 June 2013

Where to begin...



So, I'm getting my fitness and my health on, and trying to tame the control freak.  Where to begin? Well, after yesterday's thumbs up from Mary at the Superstore (see yesterday's post if this reference is not connecting for you), I thought I'd write about my sweet and simple fitness plan. 

Crunch Challenge

On Facebook a while back I saw that people were posting about participating in the 30 day Crunch Challenge.  I thought, 30 days, it takes 30 days to make a habit, 30 days isn't that long, Ok, I'm all for the 30 day Crunch Challenge.  So I started last week.

 I discovered three things very quickly about this challenge. 

1. It takes far less time in the run of a day to do 100 crunches (or whatever the schedule called for that day) than I would have ever imagined.  Seriously.  Like 2 minutes.  I would look at the calendar, go to the front room, lay down on Sydney's play mats, do my X amount of crunches and then be amazed that they were all done.  I even went online and watched a couple of Youtube videos on various crunch options, and switched crunch positions after every 25 crunches and by no means did it ever take me more than 5 minutes.  So, really, we could all be participating in the crunch challenge every day. 
2. Crunches tone your belly - go figure!  Ha ha.  I'm trying to be funny, but seriously, crunches work.  I can feel that my stomach is getting more toned (and I just had a baby 6 weeks ago), so that is a great motivator to keep going.
3. Actions do speak louder than words.  Jamie wanted to know what the random #'s were on the calendar.  I told him about the challenge and he's all over it.  He's been on team crunch a lot, and I even caught him this morning trying to find a push up challenge online.  :)

If you'd like to challenge yourself to Crunch it up for 30 days, here are a couple of great websites.
http://shrinkingjeans.net/2013/05/30-day-ab-challenge/ - This is the one I'm following - I was drawn by the "shrinking jeans" part of the address.

This is the one a few friends have followed, where you do progressively more crunches each day: http://anothercityurbanite.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/tumblr_mld03kknqh1sopt5no1_500.jpg

Next up, Couch to 5 K

I've been a lukewarm runner for about 10 years.  I get all geared up, train, train, train, run a 10 k or half marathon and then fall off the wagon for 6 months (or a year!)  I always have tremendous guilt, especially when I see my Running Room jacket hanging in the closet.  You know that one.  The one that all people who run seem to have.   It's a must have when you first start running.   Check out any learn to run running group.  They all have one. 

So, here I go with the Couch to 5K. Yes, I know what you're thinking.  "Beth, it doesn't seem like your inner self wants to embrace running as your go to fitness activity. " I hear you, but, I like what running is all about.  It's individual, it involves very little equipment, you can do it anywhere, you don't have to sign up for classes, and I enjoy entering races with friends.  I'm making a life change here, so, fingers crossed, running will stick this time. Since I really haven't done that much exercise for at least 10 months, I figured I better start slow.  My friend Jill inspired me to give the Couch to 5 K a go.

I started last week, and again, it seems to be going great.  Now, I realize I'm on maternity leave and have more flexible time than full time working moms, but Jill is a full time working mom, and she's doing it, so I know it's doable.  Small amount of time (only 30 minutes) to be able to run 5k (which is the starting distance for any race you may want to enter).  On my last maternity leave I used to take 30 minutes to bake a batch of double chocolate chip cookies. If I swap 30 minutes of baking for 30 minutes of fitness, I'll be Jane Fonda by Labor Day!  Although, I'm sure even Jane whooped up some cookies once in awhile.   Jamie and Sydney love chocolate chip cookies (Ok, I love them too).

Yours in only eating one handful of chocolate chips in the last 3 days,

Beth

PS. Start the crunch challenge today - I dare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment