Friday 21 June 2013

It's already working...



Well, I'm only into day two of my "chill out" plan, and I've already received confirmation, from Mary at the Superstore, that I am, indeed, calmer.  On the outside anyway.


Abby, my almost 6 week old, is a lovely baby, but she is not a car seat/stroller sleeper.  She usually won't cry or fuss, but she won't fall in to a deep sleep like some babies will.  She will, however, sleep like a trooper in her bed for naps and at night time, so I'm totally OK with the car seat situation.

Anyway, that being said, I needed to get groceries this morning.  Like, I was living Mother Hubbard's life and I had to get my cupboards filled up, type of grocery shopping.  Off to the Superstore.  Armed with my list, and my baby who will only pretend/doze in her car seat.


I get in, and of course, I forget my recyclable bags in the car, and if you know me, you know I love to collect points, and we have a PC debit card.  With every recycle bag you use, you get an extra 50 points.  When I forget the bags/don't have them, I start to sweat a little, because, I feel like I'm throwing money away, which is over the top thinking, but that's how I work.  So, today, I decided to not go back to the car for the bags.  I decided to chill out, and that I would bring them next time.


As I'm going through the Superstore at break neck speed, knowing Abby will only humor me for 30 minutes tops, I keep missing things and having to go back, and I'm about ready to blow my lid.  I feel like I don't have control over the situation.  I've got to get a grip.  At this point, my brain is ready to burst because I'm mad at myself for making so many errors/silly mistakes when it comes to grocery shopping.  Hopefully now you're starting to see why I need to reign myself in a little bit.


So, I finally make it to the checkout line and Abby is beginning to lose it.  I give her a soother, which she will only keep in for about 2 minutes because she has not mastered the soother yet, but there is only two ladies in front of me, with 5 items each, so I think, "No biggie, this isn't going to take long."  Ha!


Enter Cheese Whiz Gate.  The long and short of the story is that the ladies in front of me each had a jar of Cheese Whiz, which they thought were on sale, but to their shock and amazement, they were not on sale. They had both picked up the wrong size.  It was a great debate as to whether or not they would purchase the Cheese Whiz, take back the Cheese Whiz, ask for a rain check for the Cheese Whiz ...OMG - My mind was going to explode.  So this is what I did.  "Excuse me ladies, I will buy the Cheese Whiz for you and you won't have to worry about what to do.  Just consider it a random act of kindness.  I have the money right here, and I'd love to treat you to some Cheese Whiz."  Of course, the ladies looked at me a little funny, but in the end, one lady took me up on my offer and one decided that the Cheese Whiz was just too expensive.  I'll be having nightmares about the Cheese Whiz for a week.


When it was finally my turn to be rung through, Mary, the lovely Superstore checkout lady, looked at me and said, "I've never seen anyone offer to purchase someone else's groceries.  For having such a young child you seem so CALM and easy going."  Yes, that's right...that's what Mary said.  She said I was calm and easy going.  I couldn't believe it.  She must have read my blog yesterday and knew I needed a little pat on the back.  :) God love Mary.


Yours in hoping Cheese Whiz is banned in Canada,


Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment